Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Interview with Author Pat G'orge Walker

Author Pen Name: Pat G’Orge-Walker


What genre(s) do you write? Inspirational/Christian Fiction/Gospel comedy

Q: Why do you write the stories that you write?

A: A need that is very hard to explain. It’s like a need for water when you really want a soda. Until you drink the water you are unfulfilled.

Q: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

A: From as far back as elementary school there’s been a hunger for words and putting them to paper.

Q: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?
A: My father was a lyricist and a poet when he wasn’t preaching. I believe writing is in my DNA. I have other brothers and sisters in the record industry who are song writers, etc. One of my inspirations has always been and continues to be Maya Angelou. She once gave me great advice. She told me to “always be honest in my writing.” I’ve tried to adhere to that in keeping my own voice and authenticity.

Q: When writers block attacks, what do you do to get back on track?

A: My stories are primarily character-driven. When having difficulty in discerning their thoughts, dilemmas, etc., I try to find a quiet place. With pen and paper I simply listen to them and take notes. When that process is complete I try to translate what they’ve given. When that doesn’t work I tell everyone in my house to get their own food, laundry and whatever. “The Writing Diva needs her space.” And because I’m the only female in my house I sometimes have to act a fool. The latter usually works best.

Q: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

A: My schedule is extremely hectic. I’m also a performer and I travel around the country. I have a very delicate balancing act. Currently, I’m also taking care of a premature grandbaby… whew! But my husband is so in love with the little one that I have to sometimes ask him can I do something for her J

Q: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

A: I’m one of those authors who places her books into the hands of my pastor. Once he and the pulpit pray God’s blessings upon it I let it go. I’m then onto the next book. I know prayer works. This past year I was plagued with the Whooping cough, thyroid problems and couldn’t promote or hardly perform. And but for God, my current novel, Somewhat Saved, entered onto the Essence Best Seller’s List at # 6. It is also nominated for a 2008 AALBS Best comedy award. Last year my novel Cruisin’ On Desperation won.

Q: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

A: I like to just relax. I seldom get to do that. I’m a political junky. With this electrifying and historical election in the making I’m glued to the television and Google.

Q: What is something shocking or weird about you that your readers don’t know about?

A: I got my passport through the FBI.(true)

Q: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

A: I’ve written about six books. I can’t say which my favorite book is anymore than I can say which of my children my favorite is.

Q: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

A: Oh definitely based upon those I know. Ain’t that scary?????

Q: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

A: Other than the obvious which is prayer I would encourage them to study their craft. And if for no other reason than to protect your finances and your career; be careful when selecting an agent. Because I’m in the midst of litigation I won’t say anything further. Take it from me…. Check folks out!!! And then check them out again.

Q: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

A: I can be reached via email at pat248@aol.com or sisterbetty@sisterbetty.com I’m published by a major publishing house (Kensington/Dafina). My books are sold wherever books are. My websites are: www.myspace.com/sisterbettycomedy and www.sisterbetty.com

Q: Is there anything you would like to add?

A: Yes, I would like to add a heartfelt “thank you” for the support of the readers, retail, radio, internet, television and all who’ve had a strong hand in taking me from level to level. I thank God for a husband, despite all his awards and service to this country in fighting terrorism, does all he can to ensure his wife has an opportunity to shine.

No comments: