Tuesday, January 26, 2010

7 Steps to Building God Confidence in Children: Step 1

Genesis 27:33-37 Isaac trembled violently and said, "Who was it, then, that hunted game and brought it to me? I ate it just before you came and I blessed him—and indeed he will be blessed!" When Esau heard his father's words, he burst out with a loud and bitter cry and said to his father, "Bless me—me too, my father!" But he said, "Your brother came deceitfully and took your blessing." Esau said, "Isn't he rightly named Jacob [a] ? He has deceived me these two times: He took my birthright, and now he's taken my blessing!" Then he asked, "Haven't you reserved any blessing for me?" Isaac answered Esau, "I have made him lord over you and have made all his relatives his servants, and I have sustained him with grain and new wine. So what can I possibly do for you, my son?"
Step One: Speak positively into your child's life.

There is a story in the Bible which involves a father’s words or lack thereof.

Esau and Jacob were both sons of Isaac. According to the covenant God made with Abraham, who was Isaac's father, it was required that they pass on the blessing of God to their eldest son.

Now Isaac had every intention of doing this, but Isaac's younger son Jacob and Jacob's mother Rachel, tricked Jacob into giving this birthright to Isaac.

Esau was distraught. So much so that he hated his brother Jacob.

In this situation, Isaac could have diffused the situation by speaking up. Instead he chose to remain silent and docile. As a result Esau spent many years in turmoil.

Parents encouraging words can propel a child to greatness while a careless remark or lack thereof can send a child into a life long tail spin. As parents our words can shape our child's view of the world and their place in it.

The Bible teaches us that we have the power of life and death in our own tongues. Choose to speak life into your children. Avoid words and criticisms that lead to ridicule and shame. Be generous with praise. Catch your children doing good rather that seeking to catch them doing bad.

Your words make a difference in what your children believe about themselves

What were the last words you said to your child today? How can you use your words to build up and encourage your children each day?

No comments: